A 12-YEAR-OLD boy has died after two youngsters were spotted walking on live railway tracks last night.
Emergency services rushed to the scene near Bedford Road in Bootle, Merseyside, following reports of a “casualty” on the line.
Emergency services rushed to the scene in Bootle, Merseyside, following the horror discovery last night[/caption]
Earlier reports suggested two children had been seen on the tracks.
Today the British Transport Police confirmed the youngster was electrocuted and the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
Floral tributes were this morning left at the scene from heartbroken members of the local community.
Detective Chief Inspector Steve Lewis said: “This is an incredibly tragic incident which I know will have shocked many in the local community.
“I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the boy’s family.
“I would like to appeal to anyone in the area who may have seen two young boys close to the tracks around this time to get in touch with us.”
A British Transport Police spokesman said: “Officers were called to the line in Bootle shortly after 7pm last night following reports of a casualty on the tracks.
“Paramedics also attended, however, sadly a person was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”
MOST READ IN NEWS
The tragic incident happened in the same part of Liverpool where two-year-old James Bulger was snatched before being tortured and killed on train tracks.
James was taken from the Strand Shopping Centre in Bootle on February 12, 1993, by Robert Thompson and Jon Venables.
The pair were only 10 years old when they became the country’s youngest murderers in 250 years.
For the latest news on this story keep checking back at Sun Online, where we will bring you live updates as soon as they happen, before anyone else.
TheSun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video