BE YOUR own boss, take a pole dancing class, fly business class, run a marathon and forgive someone who has wronged you: just some of the things every female should do, before the age of fifty, according to those who have reached the milestone.
The nationwide study of British females over the age of fifty, revealed a definitive list of things every woman should achieve before reaching the milestone birthday, according to those who have made it to half a century.
Women over 50 reveal a list of things you should do before the milestone birthday – from knowing your worth to getting a tattoo[/caption]
And according to the survey, learning what is important in life is the most important achievement, as voted for by a staggering 63 percent of the women polled.
Fully understanding your own worth was important to 55 percent of females, while 48 percent said that by the time they reached a half century, they had QUIT the job they hated and were doing something they loved.
Forgiveness emerged as another key life lesson, with as many as 36 percent saying by the time they reached mid-life they had extended an olive branch to someone they had a long standing feud with.
Sipping a cocktail on a tropical beach (26 percent), flying business class to New York (21 percent), going to a festival (20 percent) and finding love for the second time around (23 percent), also made the list.
Getting a toy boy (16 percent), going skinny dipping (10 percent), introducing role play to your marriage (10 percent), putting pen to paper and writing your own novel (12 percent), and making time for volunteering (19 percent) were also important.
Almost half (49 percent) of the 1,500 over fifties females, polled by classic confectionery company Elizabeth Shaw, said they now know their own strengths, while a further 45 percent admitted they no longer sweat the small stuff.
BE COMFORTABLE IN OWN SKIN
41 percent insisted they are now comfortable in their own skin, while eight out of ten (81 percent) said they no longer worry about superficial things.
In fact, 73 percent said they wish they had been more adventurous in their youth, while four in ten (36 percent) wished they had played the field more when it came to matters of the heart.
42 percent regret that they’d worried so much about relationship problems when they were younger, meanwhile the majority of those polled insisted the best was yet to come, with 69 percent saying they expected their life to be full of fun and adventure in the coming years.
Said Elizabeth Shaw Managing Director, Karen Crawford: “Our research shows that women over 50 are tearing up the rule book and setting their own rules for living, now more than ever. What’s more, they’re telling us that the best is yet to come.
“We’re on a mission to inspire women all over the country to share their pearls of wisdom – celebrating everything they have learnt in life, from indulging in everyday treats to big ambitions. At Elizabeth Shaw, we’re saying: ‘dare to be you whatever your age’.”
most read in fabulous
42 percent of women said their 50s is their favourite decade, with 38 percent admitting their sex life is better than ever.
If they could give say anything to their younger selves, 67 percent said they would advise not to allow themselves to be walked over.
As many as 64 percent said they would counsel their younger selves to stop worrying about the little things in life, with a further 64 percent insisting that you should never let anyone use you.
30 THINGS EVERY WOMAN SHOULD DO BEFORE HITTING FIFTY
1. Learn what’s important to you in life – 63 percent
2. Know your worth – 55 percent
3. Quit the job you hate – 48 percent
4. Forgive someone who has wronged you – 36 percent
5. Sip a cocktail on a tropical beach – 26 percent
6. Have a complete makeover – 25 percent
7. Find love again – 23 percent
8. Be your own boss – 22 percent
9. Fly business class to New York – 21 percent
10. Go to a festival – 20 percent
11. Dance until sunrise – 19 percent
12. Make time for volunteering – 19 percent
13. Learn to meditate – 18 percent
14. Learn a language – 18 percent
15. Get a tattoo – 16 percent
16. Date a younger man – 16 percent
17. Have a career change – 16 percent
18. Visit the Maldives – 13 percent
19. Dance on a table – 12 percent
20. Write your life story – 12 percent
21. Have a holiday romance – 11 percent
22. Drive a convertible – 11 percent
23. Go skinny dipping – 10 percent
24. Learn to salsa dance – 10 percent
25. Introduce role play to your marriage – 10 percent
26. Sneak backstage at a gig – 8 percent
27. Try a pole-dancing class – 5 percent
28. Learn to scuba dive – 5 percent
29. Go to a burlesque club – 5 percent
30. Run a marathon – 4 percent
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]