Pregnant mum falls ill with salmonella at hotel where girl, 2, ‘got E.Coli’ poisoning and later died

Pregnant mum falls ill with salmonella at hotel where girl, 2, ‘got E.Coli’ poisoning and later died

- in Uk News
119
0

A PREGNANT mum was struck down with salmonella at the same hotel where a tragic tot is said to have caught E. Coli and later died.

Emma Broadhurst was six months pregnant when she flew out to the Crystal Sunset Luxury Resort and Spa, in Antayla, Turkey, for a week’s holiday with pals at the start of September.

Mirrorpix

Emma Broadhurst was six months pregnant when she flew out to the Crystal Sunset Luxury Resort and Spa, in Antayla, Turkey[/caption]

Emma, 31, was left violently vomiting with chronic diarrhoea after catching salmonella
Facebook

The 31-year-old was severely ill and suffering chronic diarrhoea just two days after arriving on the holiday, and before long became dangerously dehydrated.

A day later, her friend Emma McComb’s son Kailan, 7, also fell ill with diarrhoea and on their return to the UK Ms McComb was left violently vomiting and “screaming in agony”.

The three shared a room on the trip and were all diagnosed with salmonella after a visit to their GP.

They stayed in the same hotel where two-year-old Allie Birchall, from Wigan, Greater Manchester, is claimed to have caught the deadly E. Coli bug which later killed her.

The Crystal Sunset Luxury resort was hit by the scare
Little Allie Birchall died at the same hotel
SWNS:South West News Service

Her entire family were also hit with stomach cramps and diarrhoea during the Jet2 holiday.

Jatinder Paul, of Irwin Mitchell who are representing the Birchall family, said: “As part of our investigations, we are looking into the family’s stay at the Crystal Sunset Luxury Resort and Spa and if any issues are identified, we hope that measures will be taken to ensure this does not happen again.”

Ms Broadhurst, who was also on holiday with her daughter, Evie, 9, has only just recovered after three-and-a-half-weeks and a course of antibiotics.

Her unborn baby has a condition called Gastroschisis – meaning her intestines are outside her body – and she will need surgery as soon as she’s born.

She said: “I’ve never been so poorly. I can honestly say I’ve never been so Ill from a holiday.

I’ve never been so poorly. I can honestly say I’ve never been so Ill from a holiday. What frightened me more was how my baby would cope with it. When I was told it was salmonella my first thought was ‘Is this going to damage my baby?


Emma Broadhurst

“What frightened me more was how my baby would cope with it. When I was told it was salmonella my first thought was ‘Is this going to damage my baby?’”

Ms Broadhurst, who owns a cleaning company, added: “They had a scan that howed that my baby isn’t growing as she should be.

“She’s a lot smaller than a baby with Gastroschisis should be so I have to go back for weekly scans so the doctors can monitor her.

“In pictures I took on holiday I clearly look pregnant but in ones after we got back I don’t look pregnant at all. That’s how much weight I’ve lost.”

She added: “We’re the lucky ones. I can’t comprehend what the little girl’s poor family must be going through. I just hope a full investigation is carried out.

My son was getting worse. He was screaming in agony with stomach pains and the next thing he was projectile vomiting. He was in so much pain. It was awful to watch.


Emma McComb

“I was crying on the plane home because I just couldn’t stop going to the toilet.

“It was awful. I feared for my baby. I thought something was wrong with her and she was making me poorly.”

Meanwhile pal Ms McComb, 30, threw up when they landed.

She said: “I was getting sicker and sicker on the flight home. I had sickness and diarrhea until the Saturday and then started feeling nauseous.

“I couldn’t bring myself to do anything. Then I got worse and was freezing cold and shivering.

“My son was getting worse. He was screaming in agony with stomach pains and the next thing he was projectile vomiting. He was in so much pain. It was awful to watch.”

A spokesperson for Love Holidays said: “The safety and well being of customers is our number one priority and we continually monitor the feedback we receive from customers to ensure our high standards are maintained.


“We have not been directly made aware of this experience by these customers and they did not contact us for assistance while at the hotel or after their return home.

“We always encourage customers who are unhappy with their holiday experience to contact us so that we can investigate on their behalf.

“Love Holidays is sorry to hear that these customers have been unwell and would advise them to contact us directly so that we can investigate this further.”

Allie’s mum has been left devastated by her death
SWNS:South West News Service
Allie died after contracting E.Coli
SWNS:South West News Service

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas