NAGA Munchetty has been welcomed back by BBC Breakfast viewers as she returned for her first show since being disciplined for calling Donald Trump racist.
The Breakfast host was found to have breached editorial guidelines by criticising the US president, but the decision sparked a furious backlash.
On her way to work she would not answer questions on the recent debate, and remained silent when asked if she felt let down by the corporation.
The presenter was escorted into the studio at Salford’s MediaCityUK by security staff in the wake of outrage over her censure for breaching impartiality guidelines.
And once back on the airwaves, neither she nor co-host Charlie Stayt referenced anything about the row.
But viewers were overjoyed as Munchetty returned to the couch for the first time since the row this morning.
Taking to Twitter, one wrote: “The Queen is back, Naga”
Another added: “Good to see Naga back where she belongs.”
A third said: “Morning Naga, great to see you on breakfast looking as amazing as ever. We love you Naga x”
Naga had been criticised following a conversation on air in July after President Trump tweeted that certain female members of the Democrat Party should “go back to their own countries.
Naga, 44, said: “Every time I have been told, as a woman of colour, to go back to where I came from, that was embedded in racism.
“Now, I’m not accusing anyone of anything here, but you know what certain phrases mean.”
The ECU ruled her assertion that Trump’s comments were “embedded in racism” went beyond what the BBC allows, and a complaint made about the presenter’s comments was partially upheld.
This sparked a backlash and several prominent black and Asian journalists and broadcasters, including Sir Lenny Henry and Krishnan Guru-Murthy, called for the decision to be reversed.
MOST READ IN NEWS
On Monday, the corporation’s director-general Lord Hall overturned the decision, saying in an email to staff: “I don’t think Naga’s words were sufficient to merit a partial uphold of the complaint around the comments she made.”
It was later revealed her co-host Dan Walker, 42, had also been named in the original complaint, although he was not investigated.
He was described as “very unprofessional” but it was only a later version of the complaint, focused on Naga, which was investigated.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.