Prince Harry rapped by ex-Palace staff and royal commentators for attack on coverage of Meghan Markle

Prince Harry rapped by ex-Palace staff and royal commentators for attack on coverage of Meghan Markle

- in Uk News
105
0

ROYAL commentators and former Palace staff today said that Harry had got it wrong in his extraordinary attack on the Press.

Referring to coverage of his mum Diana — a favourite with the media — the Duke of Sussex said that his “deepest fear is history repeating itself”.

Prince Harry has been rapped by ex-Palace staff for his extraordinary attack on the Press
Paul Edwards – The Sun

On his and Meghan’s official website, he wrote: “I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person.

“I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces.”

Meghan is suing The Mail on Sunday claiming it “unlawfully” published a letter she sent to dad Thomas Markle soon after the 2018 royal wedding.

Harry described coverage of Meghan as “bullying” and claimed the couple had been hit with “relentless propaganda”.

But Ken Wharfe, who worked for the royals for 16 years and served as Diana’s bodyguard from 1988-1993, rubbished Harry’s claims.

He said: “This is a monumental misjudgment. Much of what he claims is not true and it’s an unfair comparison to bring his mother into it.

“Diana died in a car crash due to a drunken driver and a woefully inexperienced protection officer, under the eyes of Mohamed Fayed.

“The Press don’t operate in the same way now, as they did when Diana was alive — and she did manipulate the media to her own advantage.

“Only five per cent of what was written about her was unfair.

‘MONUMENTAL MISJUDGMENT’

“The Press have been fair to Harry and Meghan — the criticism has been due to their silly antics like taking private jets.”

The royal couple have been accused of hypocrisy for using private jets, and for Harry sailing on a gas-guzzling mega yacht, while campaigning on climate change.

They were also criticised for spending £2.4million of taxpayers’ cash to refurbish their Frogmore Cottage home in Windsor — and keeping some details of baby Archie’s birth secret.

Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan, 54, described Harry’s rant as “hysterically over-the-top”.

And he said the couple had “petrol bombed” the positive coverage they had received on their tour of Africa.

Mr Morgan said: “They behaved with dignity, grace, good humour and empathy. Then came the announcement that they are suing over a letter that Meghan’s father gave to the paper to publish.

“That alone wouldn’t have irritated me. What did irritate me was the hysterically over-the-top statement that the Sussexes decided to release to accompany their lawsuit.

“It is one of the most extraordinary and inexplicable rants I’ve ever read from anyone in the Royal Family.

“Why petrol-bomb glowingly- positive, end-of-tour reports with a furnace of negative fury?

“Not for the first time, I don’t understand what the hell Harry and Meghan are thinking.

Referring to coverage of his mum Diana — a favourite with the media — the Duke of Sussex said that his ‘deepest fear is history repeating itself’
Rex Features

“Harry should clamber down off his hysterical hothead high horse and repair the real running sore causing Meghan’s distress — by making peace with her father.”

The couple and baby Archie ended their tour in Johannesburg, South Africa, today and will arrive at Heathrow tomorrow morning.

Ingrid Seward, editor of Majesty magazine, said: “Every report had been positive and detailed.

“The causes Meghan and Harry were so keen to highlight were directed by the media to the attention of millions. They have a great capacity to make things happen.

“But they can’t do it without a relationship with the media. So why attack them at this moment?

“Is Harry so hotheaded and passionate he can’t contain his personal anxieties? It often feels so.

“And sometimes I wonder if either the duke or duchess are prepared to accept they might be wrong.

“Instead of feeling victimised they should be positive about the royal waves they are making.

“They want to do things differently. They are succeeding. But not in my opinion in the right way.

“Harry was once the most popular royal after the Queen. We loved him because he was fallible. He did stupid things but always said sorry and put the smile back on his face.

‘ACTION WON’T BE FORGOTTEN’

“Now he seems permanently disgruntled and even fragile.

“He and Meghan want to change the world. But to attempt to do this you need massive Press support.

“Diana made friends of her enemies and had them eating out of her hand.

“Harry and Meghan should do the same.”

Charles’ biographer Penny Junor added: “I completely understand that Harry should feel protective about his wife.

“There have undoubtedly been some negative stories in the past nine months that must have hurt — but they have not all been lies, nor part of a ruthless campaign.

“This feels like an over-emotional and somewhat ill-advised outburst.”


Commentator Brian Hoey branded Harry’s statement “plain stupid”, given the goodwill the couple have enjoyed since marrying.

He added: “The royals have always accepted the need for the media with most following the Queen’s mantra, ‘Never complain, never explain.’

“The Queen is a realist, who if consulted on this action, almost certainly would have advised against it. This action will never be forgotten, or forgiven.”

Truss Meg warning

By Matt Dathan, Chief Political Correspondent

ONE of Boris Johnson’s closest Cabinet ministers lined up against Meghan and Harry today.

Trade Secretary Liz Truss said the Duchess of Sussex should not be protected by privacy laws.

She told her she had to accept the inevitable “slings and arrows” of being in the public eye.

Ms Truss told the BBC: “I do think people should be able to say what they think about public figures in the press.”

Ken Wharfe, left, who worked for the royals for 16 years and served as Diana’s bodyguard, has rubbished Harry’s claims
PA:Press Association
Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan described Harry’s rant as ‘hysterically over-the-top’
Rex Features
Harry and Meghan were snapped as they met with Nelson Mandela’s widow Graca Machel in Johannesburg, South Africa
Getty – Contributor
The Duke described coverage of Meghan as ‘bullying’
Getty – Contributor

The Mega Agency

Harry and Meghan have received criticism for their use of private jets, despite campaigning on climate change[/caption]

The royal couple have been accused of hypocrisy a number of times
Paul Edwards – The Sun
On the royal couple’s website, Harry wrote: ‘I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces’
Reuters
They were also criticised for spending £2.4million of taxpayers’ cash to refurbish their Frogmore Cottage home in Windsor
Alamy


  • GOT a story? Ring The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or email [email protected].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas