A CORONER ordered a jail to close a wing after a lag on remand died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
Dozens of inmates were evacuated from cells at HMP Pentonville, North London, and courts told to divert others.
An entire wing at HMP Pentonville was forced to close down after a coroner reported that an inmate’s death was caused by suspected carbon monoxide poisoning[/caption]
The Victorian jail’s First Night Centre (FNC) shut for three days before tests showed no sign of leaks.
A source said: “The FNC was shut down for three days while engineers tried to work out what had happened.
“The coroner contacted the prison a week ago and told them toxicology tests showed the inmate’s cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It’s caused complete chaos – inmates were being moved to other wings or prisons and it’s caused big problems for the local courts too.”
An independent investigation will now take place into Ibrahim Noor’s death on September 7.
The Chief Inspector of Prisons said in April FNC cells there were “sometimes dirty and ill-equipped”.
The Sun can reveal the crisis comes just weeks after seven prison officers were suspended over alleged assaults on two cons in two days at Pentonville.
MOST READ IN NEWS
One con was left needing hospital with a suspected broken nose while the other nursed black eyes, sources said.
Both incidents happened within hours of each other.
The Prison Service said they had been suspended “pending police and disciplinary investigations”.
The crisis comes as seven prison officers were suspended over alleged assaults on two cons and The Chief Inspector said cells there were ‘sometimes dirty and ill-equipped’[/caption]
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]