A ROARING blaze has torn through Blackpool’s iconic promenade arcade last night.
Footage shared online showed the front entrance of Coral Island up in flames – following an electrical fault with one of the outside lights.
The fire took four fire crews to extinguish and luckily no one was injured.
Despite the fire, Coral Island bosses announced that the arcade would still be open today.
They wrote on Facebook: “Today we are open as usual! Overnight, there has been a fire at Coral Island, this was actually caused by an electrical fault on an external light.
“The fire was rapidly controlled by our extensive sprinkler system and we are extremely thankful for the quick response of the fire services.
“No-one was harmed during the fire, for which we are very grateful and there has been no significant damage to Coral Island.
“We appreciate all of the kind messages we have received and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Coral Island soon.”
Jack Davies told Lancashire Live: “This is really grim. The hopes and dreams of millions of youngsters exist in that place.
“I have such fond memories of going there as a kid, armed with a bucket full of 2p pieces and aspirations of being the next Richard Branson. Entranced by the flashing lights and bundles of £20 notes in the coin pusher machine… ‘Hope they can save it, it’s an iconic piece of everyone’s childhood!”
MOST READ IN NEWS
A spokesperson for Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Four fire engines from Blackpool, South Shore and Bispham were called to a fire at a commercial property on the Promenade, Blackpool.
“Firefighters used two hose reels, ladders and thermal imaging cameras to extinguish the fire on the roof.
“Firefighters were at the scene for nearly two hours. The fire investigation begins this morning.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.