WITH the rise of rail fares, we take a look at where some of that money goes.
So how much do train drivers earn a year in the UK? Here’s more on their salaries…
How much do train drivers earn?
Salaries for train drivers are dependent on which company they work for and experience.
The average base pay for a driver in the UK is £54,184 per year, according to Glassdoor.
But the pay can range from £44,000 up to £65,000.
Here are the average base salaries by company for some of the main firms:
- Great Western Railway: £52,952
- Southeastern Railway: £53,372
- London Underground: £54,267
- Arriva Group: £59,586
- Govia Thameslink Railway: £57,653
- London Overground Rail Operations: £57,903
- Southern Railway: £55,099
- Virgin Trains: Between £62,000 and £69,000
- South Western Railway: Between £49,000 and £56,000
- Transport for London: £52,969
- Crosscountry Trains: £62,270
- London Midland: £52,752
- ScotRail: £47,988
- East Midlands Trains: Between £55,000 – £65,000
- Direct Rail Services: Between £54,000 – £60,000
- National Express: £42,000 – £45,000
How do you become a train driver?
To become a train driver you need to apply for a training programme with an operating company.
Normally you will need to be over 20 years old to work on the national rail network or over 18 for the Tube.
You will also need to live within one hour of the area you are applying to work in.
Some employers may expect you to have GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) or equivalent in English and maths.
To be accepted for training, you’ll need to pass a medical check which will include eyesight, colour vision and hearing.
NEWS ON TRAVEL DELAYS AND DISRUPTIONS
Alternatively you could start out by doing another job such as passenger assistant or conductor, and then apply for trainee driver posts when they become available.
You may also need clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
The training schemes normally last around 12 months.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.