Brit swimming champ, 18, and her boyfriend, 21, roasted to death as they slept in makeshift metal home after extension lead overheated

Brit swimming champ, 18, and her boyfriend, 21, roasted to death as they slept in makeshift metal home after extension lead overheated

- in Uk News
99
0

A TEENAGE swimming champ and her boyfriend were roasted to death in a makeshift metal home after a cable overheated, an inquest heard.

Tragic Tazmin Pugh, 18, and Josh Kirk, 21, choked on the fumes as the flames engulfed their metal-walled barn conversion as they slept next to each other.

Pershore Swimming Club wrote a tribute to Tazmin, saying 'There are no words to describe the horror of losing one so young'
The swimmer competed at elite level and won silver in the Commonwealth Youth Games
The young woman's body was found after the fire
The young woman’s body was found after the fire
facebook.com/tamzin.pugh
Josh Kirk, 21, also died in the blaze
Josh Kirk, 21, also died in the blaze
facebook.com/josh.kirk.7587
Friends paid tribute to Josh after he died on Sunday
Friends paid tribute to Josh after the tragic fire
facebook.com/josh.kirk.7587
Tazmin, right, smiles next to two other medallists at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Apia, Samoa, in 2015
Tazmin, right, smiles next to two other medallists at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Apia, Samoa, in 2015
Getty Images – Getty

She won silver representing Great Britain at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Samoa in 2015 while Josh was heavily into music and carpentry.

The couple had returned to their home in Cotheridge, Worcs, from a party where they had taken a cocktail of drugs including ketamine and speed before falling asleep.

An extension lead overheated which started a fire in the property in the early evening of October 28 last year.

An inquest heard the wood chips in the walls caused the inferno to rapidly spread and within minutes the couple were overcome by the deadly fumes.

RAPID INFERNO

Metal sheeting in the walls also meant there was a lack of ventilation which created a deadly oven effect in the barn.

Worcestershire Coroner David Reid said the couple had used recreational drugs “which may well have affected their ability to react to the fire”.

Mr Reid told the inquest: “Both of them were young people full of promise.

“Joshua had done an engineering apprenticeship and had begun working again.

“Tazmin had been an elite swimmer winning championships and medals at the Commonwealth Youth Games.”

The inquest heard that following an injury in 2017 Tazmin began to lose interest in her swimming career.

At around the same time she met Josh and they began a relationship and moved into a converted barn at his parents’ home at the end of the year.

Both of them were young people full of promise. Joshua had done an engineering apprenticeship and had begun working again. Tazmin had been an elite swimmer winning championships and medals at the Commonwealth Youth Games.”


Coroner David Reid

Mr Reid said: “Both of them got involved in a lifestyle that involved weekend parties and recreational drugs.

“I want to make clear that I have not mentioned the couple’s drug use to pass judgement on them, but it is relevant to what happened.”

On the night of the fatal blaze, the couple had been to a party in the afternoon and returned to the barn.

They had taken Phenazepam – a Russian equivalent to M-Cat – along with Amphetamine and Ketamine, most likely the day before the fire.

They had fallen asleep on the bed and a neighbour noticed the barn on fire at 8pm and dialled 999.

Mr Reid said: “The fire was well developed at this stage.

“It is likely that Tazmin and Josh had died well before the fire had reached that stage.”

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Mr Reid said: “Most significant was the amount of carboxyhemoglobin.

“Carboxyhemoglobin is found in the body when carbon monoxide is breathed in.


“The development of the fire was increased by the significant amount of metal sheeting in the walls.

“The cause of death given in this case is one, the affects of the fire and two, mixed drug induction.”

Mr Reid offer his condolences to the families of the victims for their “terrible loss.”

Tazmin was known as Taz to her friends
Tazmin was known as Taz to her friends
facebook.com/tamzin.pugh
Fire fighters remained at the scene this morning to dampen it down
Firefighters at the scene of the blaze
SWNS:South West News Service
Tazmin represented England in the Commonwealth Youth Games in 2015
Tazmin represented England in the Commonwealth Youth Games in 2015
Officers were called to Bromyard Road after the blaze took hold of a home
Officers were called to Bromyard Road after the blaze took hold of a home
SWNS:South West News Service
Dozens of fire fighters rushed to the scene last night
Dozens of fire fighters rushed to the scene in a bid to save the young couple
SWNS:South West News Service

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas