A MUM on Thomas Cook holiday in Spain says she will run out of vital food supplies for her disabled daughter unless the family can be flown home soon.
Demine Warner, 25, says she is worried because Aubree, who is vision impaired, has cerebral palsy and epilepsy, needs to be tube-fed milk through her stomach.
They flew out to Almeria, Spain with partner Lance Coericius, 30, on September 18, for their first family holiday.
But now they were due to return home to Harlow, in Essex on September 25 but now anxiously waiting to hear about when they can fly.
“We still haven’t heard anything. I’m worried about my daughter as she is on medical milk and cannot eat the food here,” she said.
“So I’m hoping we will able to come home on Wednesday because she will run out of food.
“Otherwise we will have to either take her to the hospital or phone a doctor to get her some medical milk.”
Laura Thorne, 32, and partner Lee Grant, 43, were set to fly to Cyprus on Sunday ahead of their wedding on October 4.
They had 61 guests flying out and have forked out £80,000 in total to Thomas Cook.
The couple, from Swindon, have been planning their wedding for two years but might now have to pull the plug on their big day.
Laura told the Sun Online: “I just think it’s impossible to re-plan a whole wedding in a week. We might just have to do a holiday in Cyprus now.
“I just can’t believe it. It’s so stressful. We’ve been planning the wedding for two years.
“Everyone has been contacting us…it’s been absolutely mental.
“I have an Uncle flying over from Australia on Thursday. He was then going to fly from the UK to Cyprus on Thomas Cook. I only booked that three weeks ago as it was last minute decision for him to come. So he might now be coming from Australia for no reason.
“It’s just unbelievable. I don’t think anyone would have predicted this.”
It’s just unbelievable. I don’t think anyone would have predicted this.
Laura Thorne, bride-to-be
Another wedding was disrupted when a party of 45 people found themselves stranded at Manchester Airport after their flight to Jamaica was cancelled.
Lindsay Coupe, 37, and Lee Bramhall, 42, were set to fly out this morning ahead of the ceremony on Saturday and are now uncertain if they can re-schedule their flights and celebrations on time.
As well as missing out on the wedding of a lifetime, the couple will lose out on tens of thousands of pounds if the trip falls through.
Lindsay, from Sheffield, South Yorks, said: “I am absolutely gutted.
“You spend all that time planning and looking forward to your wedding day.
“I just can’t believe this has happened. I had a really big cry earlier because it all got too much.”
RUN OUT OF MEDICATION
Sian Galloway, 27, from Manchester, fears her mum Anne Williams, 54, will run out of epilepsy medication if they can’t get a flight home from Marrakesh.
The pair were due to fly back to the UK on Wednesday and Anne only has enough medication until then.
Sian told The Sun Online: “My mum is epileptic and she doesn’t have enough medication if we are stranded.
“She has enough till Wednesday morning. I would hate for her to have a fit here so we may need to ration them out.
Have you been affected? If so please email [email protected]
“The hotel knew nothing about it. And no one is giving us answers.”
Jim Hatton began pursuing emergency steps to get critical medical supplies over fears he would be stuck in Menorca.
The 61-year-old from Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute, is waiting at the airport for his replacement flight to Glasgow.
He said: “My wife and I have mobility problems and take a lot of meds for pain relief and other conditions.
“We made provision for a couple of days extra but if we had been delayed longer some vital heart medication I take for an arrhythmia would have run out. Last night was sleepless.”
HONEYMOONERS STUCK AT HOME
Lewis Bromiley and his wife Amy were due to go on their honeymoon to the Maldives in January after getting married in August.
Mr Bromiley, a 25-year-old insurance worker from Manchester, said: “We’ve got our honeymoon package booked which was the last one available in January, and now it’s cancelled. It appears we won’t be able to go to the same place now, and will have to wait a while to get our £7,000 refunded.
“We’ll have to wait for the refund which could takes months, due to the amount of people claiming. We won’t be able to rebook now, we’ll have to change destination as this was the last availability.
“We booked it over a year ago, so we were well prepared and had got the best deal. Me and my wife are devastated.
“We wanted to go to Maldives as it’s paradise and we’re looking to plan for children soon, so we wanted to tick it off our bucket list, before we couldn’t.”
Newlywed couple Jane and Richard Dawson woke up this morning to learn their honeymoon to Jamaica had been cancelled.
Jane said: “We’ve been told to go home. I know it’s no one’s fault, but it’s just very sad.”
Richard added: “Because we booked through Thomas Cook, we were told the reservation wouldn’t be honoured. So we’re spending our honeymoon at home.”
WEDDING PLANS SCUPPERED
Brit couple Martin Roffey, 40, and his 33-year-old partner Gemma Beard were due to fly from Bristol to Zante this Saturday after booking their whole wedding package through Thomas Cook.
They were set to tie the knot on October 2 – but have now had to cancel their dream wedding.
Martin said: “We are just devastated. My fiance Gemma is inconsolable, I just don’t what to do to be honest.”
He added: “We’ve been together for 17 years and engaged for nine. For so long we didn’t have the money to get married.
“We were going to get marry in the most beautiful location and we were meant to be staying in Windmill Bay, a lovely location a few hundred yards from the beach.”
They were travelling with 16 wedding guests who had all booked through the travel giant as well.
Martin, from Plymouth, said: “Even if we managed to book alternative flights I don’t know if we’d have a room to stay in or a venue to get married in. It’s just turned into a nightmare.”
A devastated groom who shares the same name as the collapsed holiday firm has been left “shattered” after his £10,000 wedding in Rhodes might no longer go ahead.
Thomas, 29, and his partner Amelia Binch, 27, from Hucknall in Nottinghamshire, are now stranded in Rhodes after booking the holiday and wedding package with the bust firm.
They flew out five days ago and are due to marry at the Lindos Princess Beach hotel on Friday.
But guests were due to fly out with Thomas Cook in the next few days, including the best man.
The couple have now been told the wedding might not go ahead as the Thomas Cook package included the wedding ceremony, flowers, cake, decorations and entertainment.
Thomas said: “I am just devastated. We have got more than 30 friends and family coming out, half are stuck at home in limbo. My best man is still in England. No one here knows anything.
“I have been planning this for two years and it has all gone to pot. We have paid for everything. It is shattering. We don’t know what we can do.”
Amelia, a beauty therapist, added: “We are just so stressed out. We don’t know if we are getting married or not.”
Meanwhile Jean Stephenson, from Derbyshire, booked her wedding next October with Thomas Cook.
She said: “We booked our wedding in Cyprus next year with Thomas Cook and booked for all our guests too. I rang on Friday to ask if the wedding was ATOL-protected.
“They rang me yesterday to say if it went into liquidation that it was, but the party line then was still that it wouldn’t happen.
“I know it’s only a wedding and some people have lost their jobs, but to be honest I’m pretty devastated right now.”
COUPLE’S LAST HOLIDAY RUINED
Couple Lyndsay and Matt Dominic, from Derby raised £1,800 from well-wishers to fly to Tenerife tomorrow.
It was to be their last break together as ex-Rolls-Royce employee Matt was given a terminal brain cancer diagnosis last May.
Lyndsay now fears the couple won’t get enough time to arrange another holiday.
The 42-year-old Morrisons worker said: “We’re beyond fed up. We don’t have a back-up plan.
It’s not possible for us to book another holiday unless we get our money back. And I keep reading that it could take up to two months to get refunded.”
She added: “My husband was really looking forward to it. He’s not got a lot to look forward to, bless him.”
Zara Hitch, from the US, has been left stranded in Manchester Airport after flying to the UK because her mum passed away last week.
She said: “I came home because my mum passed last week and I’m trying to get back to the States and my flight isn’t available.
“They’ve given me a phone number, not much help. They’ve provided contact information for an automated system. I’m just staying here until I figure out what to do.”
Bryan Ferriman, 82, who is staying on Greek island of Leros with his wife, Louise Robertson, and has flights back to the UK with the tour operator booked for later this week.
He said: “We have a flight from Kos to Birmingham late evening on Thursday. Kos airport is not a good place to be stranded in.
“I have tried to email Thomas Cook but this is impossible and phoning is futile.”
Newlyweds James and Rebecca Hyam, from Lichfield, fear they could be stuck in Cancun after their two-week honeymoon.
James said: “We’re trying to save up for a house and we’ve just spent a lot on our wedding, so we haven’t really got money lying around.
“It’s not relaxing for our honeymoon, it feels like we’ve got to sort this out now instead of relaxing.
“It’s not ruined it, but it’s not the relaxing time we were looking for.”
Tips for tourists
Q: I’m out of the country on a Thomas Cook holiday – what happens now?
A: The Civil Aviation Authority’s Operation Matterhorn will coordinate the repatriation of customers at the end of their holiday.
Q: I only bought Thomas Cook flights. Am I still protected?
A: No. Unfortunately, only package holiday customers are covered by the company’s Atol licence. Rival airlines may offer special rescue fares.
Q: I am on a Thomas Cook holiday and my hotel is insisting I pay them again. What do I do?
A: Refuse to pay. You have already paid Thomas Cook. The hotelier will have to apply via Atol.
Q: I have booked a Thomas Cook holiday? What happens now they’ve gone bust?
A: Anyone who has booked a package holiday is also covered by Atol and can apply to the CAA for their money back.
Mike Churcher, 63, who is currently on a Thomas Cook package holiday with his wife and 22-year-old son at the Royal Wings hotel in Antalya, Turkey, said he feared being thrown out of his hotel.
He told the Guardian: “There’s no information. It’s all very stoic – we’re all stiff upper lip, they’re all tight-lipped…we don’t think they’ve been paid for our holiday [by Thomas Cook] yet so we’re worried they may throw us out. The Royal Wings staff are being very nice now though.”
FOUND OUT IN THE AIR
John Garrett, 40, and partner Ajoulyn Chaffee, 35, from Boston in the United States had flown into the UK to catch a Thomas Cook flight to Malta.
The couple are heading to tour Malta and Italy on a three-week trip.
It was only when they touched down at Gatwick they found out the firm had gone bust.
Their 12pm flight to Malta cost £200 but now the couple are desperately trying to get seats on an alternative flight to the Mediterranean island.
Mr Garrett, a TV cameraman, said: “It would have been nice to get an email or something.
“We’ve just got here and its the first weve heard about it. Hopefully we can get another flight today.”
‘MY UNCLE IS ILL’
Latisha, Kennedy, Stacey and Helena are stuck at Manchester Airport trying to fly to Jamaica.
Latisha told the BBC: “We’re going home. My uncle is sick so we were going to see him before the worst happened.
“We called Thomas Cook on Saturday to see if everything was going smoothly – they said yes it was perfect.
“We left Wolverhampton and came to Manchester but as we came through the door we heard the announcement.
“We are trying to see if we can get on the next flight today. We’re not getting any help. It’s a great disappointment.”
HOLIDAY PLANS RUINED
Travellers expecting to board Thomas Cook planes in the UK today have been told to stay at home as ALL flights are grounded permanently.
Lisa Godbeer and her family were due to fly out to Mexico for a trip of a lifetime to celebrate her 40th birthday.
She said they had paid more than £6,000 for the 10-day holiday to Cancun for her and her husband, her daughter and a friend.
Ms Godbeer, from Somerset, added: “I’m really angry and a bit shocked really.
“We had a joke yesterday saying imagine we get there and it (Thomas Cook) had shut down.
“If it was a couple of hundred quid I wouldn’t care but it’s a bloody lot of money.”
Paul McLennan was supposed to fly to Orlando in Florida from Glasgow on Monday morning.
He told the BBC: “I booked in yesterday and was told everything was OK then we came up (to the airport) this morning and got this.
“I’ve got no idea what we are going to do now. This has been booked for nearly two years so to say I’m scunnered is an understatement.”
James Egerton-Stanbridge and his wife Kim were due to fly from Gatwick to Egypt for a holiday of a lifetime to celebrate her 60th birthday.
The couple, from Felixstowe, in Suffolk, said they were due to spend 10 nights in Hurghada with trips to Cairo and Luxor as part of a holiday package worth around £2,500.
Mr Egerton-Stanbridge said they had wanted to go to Egypt for years.
He added: “I feel very disappointed.
“Kim was crying this morning, we’re devastated.”
Mrs Egerton-Stanbridge added: “I’m upset. I have had this planned all year, now I have two weeks of doing nothing.
“I have wanted to go to Egypt for years.”
Meanwhile Milea Leone only became aware her return from her holiday with sisters in Majorca, Spain, was cancelled through social media.
She had been due to fly out to Glasgow on Monday morning and arrive at around 12pm, but now faces a diversion to Birmingham before a coach journey back north of the border.
It has added around nine hours onto her travel time.
John Chilcott, 34 from Bridgend, South Wales, was supposed to fly out on Friday to Vegas for his stag do with 24 pals.
They had all paid £900 each for flights but are now in a mad scramble to book different ones.
The gas engineer, who is getting married in December, told the Sun Online: “We just feel a bit gutted really. There are some boys who haven’t got the money to pay for another set of flights and hotel.
“Everyone’s been on edge and my phone has just been going off.”
Guests at one hotel in Tunisia were allegedly locked in by security guards as staff demanded extra money – worried they won’t be paid by Thomas Cook.
MOST READ IN TRAVEL
Ryan Farmer, from Leicestershire, said the hotel had on Saturday afternoon summoned all guests who were due to leave to go to reception “to pay additional fees”.
With many tourists refusing to pay on the grounds they had already paid Thomas Cook, security guards were keeping the hotel’s gates shut, refusing to allow guests out, or to let new visitors enter.
“We can’t leave the hotel. I’d describe it as exactly the same as being held hostage,” Mr Farmer said.
A fleet of 40 aircraft has been charted by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to lead the repatriation mission – an operation twice as big as that launched two years ago when Monarch Airlines collapsed – using jets from as far away as Malaysia.
It is expected to last two weeks and free flights will be offered to the majority of Thomas Cook’s 150,000 passengers currently abroad.
Only those booked on package holidays are officially protected under the Air Travel Organisers’ Licence (Atol) scheme.
Those travelling on “flight only” breaks would normally be expected to find and pay for their own return flights.
However the Department for Transport said that “given the extent the disruption” the repatriation will cover all Thomas Cook customers – but many will not get their money back for months. It is expected to cost the taxpayer up to £600 million.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson described the liquidation of Thomas Cook as a “very difficult situation” and vowed his Government would do its “level best” to get Brit holidaymakers home.
A Thomas Cook pilot’s family members wave as a flight departed Manchester Airport yesterday – among the last in the company’s 178-year history[/caption]
Online flight trackers this morning showed Thomas Cook planes making their way back to their UK bases to be grounded[/caption]
REPATRIATION IN NUMBERS
– There are 600,000 Thomas Cook travellers who have been left stuck at 53 destinations in 17 countries.
– More than 150,000 of those are Britons.
– The airlift is almost twice the size of the repatriation effort required when Monarch went bust in October 2017.
– The final cost of the programme is expected to be around £100 million.
– Forty charter planes have been brought in from as far afield as Malaysia to help with the rescue mission.
– Only holidaymakers with return flights booked within the next two weeks, between Monday and Sunday October 6, will qualify for a free flight home, as close as possible to their original return date.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.