A TAXI driver was electrocuted while playing five-a-side football with his friends at a leisure centre in Portsmouth, a court heard.
Albert Xhediku, 34, had gone to get the ball and touched a floodlight lamppost – hitting him with a surge of electricity.
Albert Xhediku was electrocuted at Mountbatten Leisure Centre in Portsmouth[/caption]
The floodlight at the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth had a metal cage over it and despite paramedics’ and his friends’ efforts to save him, he died in hospital that evening.
An inquest into Mr Xhediku’s death in January 2016 before a jury began at Portsmouth Coroner’s Court on Monday afternoon.
Coroner Lincoln Brookes said: “Albert was electrocuted whilst playing five-a-side football with his friends at Mountbatten Leisure Centre.
“The ball went out of the pitch. It was his turn to fetch the ball.
MOST READ IN NEWS
“On his return it seems he touched a floodlight and its lamppost, and in doing so he received a fatal shock from that floodlight, and despite the best efforts of his friends and indeed emergency services he was confirmed dead at Queen Alexandra Hospital later that evening.”
The facility and land are owned by Portsmouth City Council, the inquest heard.
The inquest continues.
The facility and land are owned by Portsmouth City Council, the inquest heard[/caption]
The floodlight was boxed off with a metal cage[/caption]
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.