Hero neighbours rescue pensioner in her nightie after huge gas explosion destroys her home

Hero neighbours rescue pensioner in her nightie after huge gas explosion destroys her home

- in Uk News
146
0

HERO neighbours pulled a nightie-clad pensioner from the wreckage of her home after a devastating gas explosion.

Miraculously the woman, in her 80s, escaped without serious injury from the brutal blast which blew out the windows, buckled the roof and left rooms of the semi-detached home in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, completely exposed.

East News Press Agency

The wreckage after the gas explosion in Clacton-on-Sea, Essex[/caption]

The moment the house burst into flames from the gas explosion was caught on CCTV

East News Press Agency

A small fire was still burning following the gas explosion within the property[/caption]

The detonation -which locals say sounded like a PLANE CRASH – happened at 6.30am this morning.

Locals rushed to save the victim from the shell of her home as soon as the gas caught alight.

Steel fabricator Paul Stow, 50 and brother-in-law Ian Rodman, 50, were just about to head to work when they saw the carnage.

They ran into the home past dragged the victim out of the home and then WENT TO WORK.

Paul’s wife Claire, 49, said: “It was chaos, the explosion was so loud – I thought my roof had gone and a light aircraft had crashed into it.

“Thankfully she was the only one in the house – she was really shaken, but didn’t have any injuries I could see – it was a miracle escape.

“She was just still in her nightie and didn’t really know what had happened. It must have been so loud for her.

COMPLETELY SHAKEN UP

“I think it started from the cooker as it was on fire and she was still in bed or was just getting up.

“I think she has a touch of dementia and is really lucky.

“I’m just so proud of my husband and brother, they are old school and really good guys.

“The funny thing is they just got in the van and went to work straight after helping her.”

The pensioner remains in hospital after emergency services were scrambled to the bungalow in Hawthorne Road.

A spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue said: “Firefighters were called to reports of an explosion within a bungalow in Clacton this morning.

“On arrival crews confirmed that a small fire was burning following a gas explosion within the property, which is semi-detached and measures approximately eight square metres.

“Due to concerns regarding the structural integrity of the building, firefighters requested the support of Urban Search and Rescue teams.

GAS EXPLOSION

“An aerial ladder platform was also called to allow crews to inspect the roof.

“Gas engineers were also requested to attend to investigate the source of gas.

“An elderly lady, who was in the bungalow at the time of the incident, had been rescued by neighbours and was in the care of the Ambulance Service.”

Dad-of-three Paul denied he was a hero and said he was just being a good neighbour.

He said: “We just did our bit after we heard the bang – we are not heroes.

“I was just out back feeding the dogs as I’m always up early and I just felt the ground shake.

“I knew it was an explosion as I work in construction and ran out the front door and saw the state of the roof.


“I knew she was in there on her own and I just ran in – we saw her walking about in there and she said the bang woke her up.

“I’m not a hero, I just did what any other bloke would do – I was in and out in 30seconds.”

East News Press Agency

Ian Rodman helped get the pensioner out of the house[/caption]

East News Press Agency

Paul Stow was the other hero in the ordeal[/caption]

East News Press Agency

The pensioner remains in hospital after emergency services were scrambled to the bungalow in Hawthorne Road[/caption]

East News Press Agency

The roof of the property was completely shaken up[/caption]


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas