SANDITON, the major new drama series on ITV, is an adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel by the same name.
The lavish production is adapted by an Emmy and Bafta-winning screenwriter and bursting at the seams with British talent. Here is everything you need to know about the show…
When is Sanditon on ITV?
Sanditon, a brand new TV adaptation of Jane Austen’s novel, started on Sunday, August 25, 2019, on ITV at 9pm and continues for the following two months.
The eight-part series is written by Emmy and Bafta-winning screenwriter Andrew Davies, who has also worked on War and Peace, Les Misérables, as well as Pride and Prejudice.
Filming for the show began in February, with much of the shooting taking place in Bristol, and wrapped up at the beginning of July.
A lot of work went into preparing the programme and a major outdoor 1820’s street set of the town of Sanditon, measuring 67x21m with heights of up to 10m, was constructed in The Bottle Yard Studios’ Back Lot.
Where is Sanditon filmed?
Sanditon was predominantly shot in The Bottle Yard Studios in Bristol and setting up the site for the 1820’s based drama took many weeks.
Production Designer, Grant Montgomery said: “Five interior studio sets were built and of these two were reused throughout the series.
“These consisted of Trafalgar House (bedrooms, reception rooms and study), Sanditon House (dining rooms, bedrooms and reception rooms), Denham Place, Sanditon Assembly Rooms, the boarding house for young ladies, a London high class club and a London ballroom to name a few.”
He added: “The main studio build took 10 weeks and ran alongside the exterior build of the Sanditon town street.”
Actress Lily Sacofsky, who plays Clara Brereton, said about the impressive set and costume designs: “The sets and the costumes are wonderful.
“They transport you to a completely different world.
“When you first walk on to the set of Sanditon House, the effect is immediate.”
She continued: “The first time I walked on, I thought, wow, I’d never have thought of that.”
Who is in the cast for Sanditon?
- Rose Williams as Charlotte Heywood. Of her new role the actress said: “I am absolutely thrilled to be playing Charlotte Heywood. This role is such a blessing. She’s a brilliant character – modern, headstrong, with heart and a voice.”
- Theo James plays Sidney, a very unpredictable man, who never seems to settle in one place for very long.
more itv related stories here
- Anne Reid portrays Lady Denham, a widower of two, who received money from her first husband and a title from the second.
- Kris Marshall stars as Tom Parker, the head of the Parker family, an enthusiastic and happily married man.
- Lily Sacofsky plays Clara Brereton, a “calculating and ruthless beauty”, as described by the young actress.