BORIS Johnson’s aides have warned of “carnage” ahead as the battle to deliver Brexit reaches its climax.
Supreme Court judges will rule this week on whether the PM acted unlawfully in suspending Parliament.
Boris Johnson’s aides (pictured: senior aide Dominic Cummings with Mr Johnson) have warned he’s ready to ‘fight fire with fire’ if he loses court battle[/caption]
But close allies say Boris is ready to “fight fire with fire” if Remainer MPs use it to thwart his efforts to take Britain out of the EU in 39 days’ time.
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn vowed to block any Tory Brexit deal and force an election once BoJo has missed the October 31 departure deadline.
The “rabble alliance” of Labour, Lib Dem and Tory rebels are plotting a twin-pronged attack to halt Mr Johnson’s Brexit bandwagon if he tries to quit with no deal.
At a secret meeting last week, they agreed to launch fresh challenges in the Commons and the courts if he refuses to seek a delay beyond October 31.
They are exploring the law to see if a senior civil servant or MP can deliver the request on behalf of the PM.
‘WE’LL NOT LET THEM WIN’
It has even been suggested asking the High Court to rule that Cabinet Secretary Sir Mark Sedwill, a senior Cabinet minister or Labour’s shadow Brexit secretary Sir Keir Starmer can ask the EU for an extension.
But a government source close to Mr Johnson said: “If you think the last eight weeks have been a roller coaster, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.
“There could be carnage next week. We are ready for anything those trying to block Brexit will throw at us.
“They will continue to use every trick in the book but we’ll not let them win.”
Insiders accused the EU of resuming their dirty tricks by leaking a memo critical of Britain’s new proposal to replace the backstop.
Mr Johnson’s senior aide Dominic Cummings told government advisers this weekend that Leave would win again if there was a second referendum.
MOST READ IN POLITICS
But he added: “We’re not having one. We’d be shooting ourselves in both feet and the face if we did that.”
Government sources insisted talks were still going well and that Brexit would be delivered on time as Mr Johnson promised.
One said: “We have made more progress in the last 55 days than the previous government made in two years.”
- GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]