Boy, 7, almost dies from allergic reaction to McDonald’s mango smoothie after staff ignored dad and added yoghurt

Boy, 7, almost dies from allergic reaction to McDonald’s mango smoothie after staff ignored dad and added yoghurt

- in Uk News
64
0

A BOY almost died after McDonald’s staff in Huddersfield carelessly added yoghurt to a smoothie despite his father warning them about his serious allergy.

James Tyfa, seven, broke out in hives and nearly stopped breathing after drinking the mango smoothie during a “treat” visit to the Huddersfield restaurant in 2017.

Google Maps

Staff at a McDonald’s in Huddersfield served James Tyfa a mango smoothie with yoghurt[/caption]

His father David Tyfa, a psychology lecturer at Huddersfield University, thought his son “was going to explode” because the reaction was so severe.

Mr Tyfa told The Times: “Very quickly it came on.

“His breathing was getting very bad, over just a couple of minutes, and he started to get these lumps under his eyes

“I thought he was going to explode or burst a blood vessel.

“We were walking through the park about a mile from our home and I had to carry him.

“I was contemplating the worst.”

Mr Tyfa, 55, gave his anaphylactic son an inhaler and antihistamine before an ambulance took him to hospital.

Mr Tyfa is speaking out for the first time following the inquest into the death of Owen Carey, 18, who died after eating grilled chicken at a Byron burger restaurant in 2017.

In a statement outside Southwark Coroner’s Court last week, Mr Carey’s family called on the food industry to “put the safety of their customers first”.

The Carey family have called for an “Owen’s law” that would require menus to record the allergen information of every dish.

Mr Tyfa said that written processes needed to be in place with failsafe checks for dealing with allergen requests.

He told The Times: “Anyone who has been in a McDonald’s when it’s busy knows how frantic and chaotic it can be.

“There is far too much room for error between the order and the final product delivery.”

He said there needs to be formal processes for dealing with allergy sufferers, with “written, standardised protocols, automatic checks and thorough staff training”.

Mr Tyfa suggested that a label should always be put on a product when an ingredient is taken out.

He said: “My son often has a filet-o-fish [at McDonald’s] with the sauce and cheese removed.

“A sticky label appears on the carton saying this.

“Why not do this for all products?

“Although not completely foolproof, this would at least make it explicit that the product should be checked.”

McDonald’s said that an investigation after the incident in 2017 had found human error to be at fault and that all staff were reminded of the procedures to take when serving a customer with allergens.


The statement said: “We apologise that this was not followed correctly in this instance.”

The restaurant chain added that allergen booklets were available in all branches.

McDonald’s admitted that although staff tried to keep things separate it was impossible to guarantee that an item was free of allergens even after ingredients had been removed on request.

supplied by Pixel8000 07917221968

Owen Carey died from an allergic reaction after eating a buttermilk chicken burger at a Branch of Byron[/caption]


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas