Jodie Chesney’s ‘killers fist-bumped after stabbing her to death for respect’ as family sobs hearing about her seven-inch knife wound

Jodie Chesney’s ‘killers fist-bumped after stabbing her to death for respect’ as family sobs hearing about her seven-inch knife wound

- in Uk News

JODIE Chesney’s killers fist-bumped after stabbing her to death in a park during a “pathetic” turf war, a court heard today.

The dying 17-year-old was held in her boyfriend’s arms after suffering a seven inch deep knife wound while hanging out with her friends, jurors were told.

Jodie Chesney, 17, was stabbed to death in the park in Havering, London, while sitting on a park bench with her boyfriend
Jodie Chesney, 17, was stabbed to death in the park in Havering, London
Manuel Petrovic, 20, left and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie, 19, both deny Jodie's murder
Manuel Petrovic, 20, left, and Svenson Ong-a-Kwie, 19, right, both deny Jodie’s murder
SWNS:South West News Service

The teenager had been playing music and smoking cannabis with friends near a playground when she was knifed in the back.

Manuel Petrovic, 20, Svenson Ong-a-kwie, 19, and two youths, aged 16 and 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons, deny her murder.

At around 9.20pm her boyfriend, Eddie Coyle, spotted two figures coming out of the darkness noiselessly towards them.

He saw the taller of the pair swing his right arm at Jodie’s back, the Old Bailey heard.

Jodie screamed and collapsed to the ground as the two figures ran off into the darkness, jurors were told.

Her boyfriend caught her as she fell and screamed and tried to keep her awake, the court heart.

Using a mobile phone as a torch, Jodie’s friends could see she had suffered a deep wound to her back which bled heavily.

A local resident heard her screams and came to help as Jodie’s friends became “hysterical”, jurors heard.

The court heard that when she called out to ask if everything was OK, Eddie replied: “No. My girlfriend has been stabbed.”

By the time an ambulance arrived, she showed no signs of life and was pronounced dead en route to hospital at the front of a petrol station.

Relatives of Jodie left the court today in tears after hearing the details of how she died.


Prosecutor Crispin Aylett said that a witness, Kay Connelly, had spotted a Vauxhall Corsa parked near her home in Gidea Park at 11.10pm.

He said: “Ms Connelly says that the headlights of the car were on and there were about four males standing by the driver’s side of the car.

“Ms Connelly says that the males seemed to know each other and there was nothing to suggest that there was any tension between them.

“Indeed, Ms Connelly saw them fist-bumping one another.

“However, when they saw Ms Connelly approaching, one of them had jumped into the driver’s seat of the Vauxhall Corsa and at least one other person got into the car.

Prosecutor Crispin Aylett QC told jurors: “Jodie’s boyfriend, Eddie Coyle says that, at some time after 9pm – by which time they had all been in the park for a couple of hours and it was dark – he noticed two males at the side entrance, namely the Retford Road gate.

“Eddie says that the taller youth came up behind Jodie and swung his right arm downwards towards Jodie.

“Eddie could see something black in his hand, at this a shorter male was standing behind the taller one.

“Jodie fell from that bench table. Eddie caught her as she fell and eased her to the ground.

“He realised immediately that she had been stabbed.

“Eddie was crying and screaming at Jodie to try and keep her awake.

“To Jodie’s friends in the playground, her killers had come out of nowhere and then vanished.”


Mr Aylett said that none of Jodie’s friends had any idea who was responsible for the “terrible and cowardly” attack.

Following national publicity, police got a “breakthrough” when a witness reported two males getting into a stationary black Vauxhall Corsa.

Mr Aylett said but for the “chance sighting” Jodie’s murder might have gone unsolved.

A couple of hours after the killing, a black Corsa registered to Petrovic was found abandoned about two miles away, he said.

Following his arrest, Petrovic admitted driving to Harold Hill with a friend and two others who had gone into the park to collect money and drugs.

He denied knowing the pair were armed beforehand, the court heard.

Investigators identified Petrovic’s friend and the two others through CCTV footage and mobile phone data, jurors heard.


Mr Aylett said Jodie was a “beautiful, well liked, fun” young woman who had nothing to do with drug dealing and was unlikely to have been the intended target.

He told jurors: “The drug-dealing world is one of turf wars, rivalries and pathetic claims for ‘respect’.

“And when drug dealers fall out, they do not take their problems to the police. Instead, they take matters into their own hands, prepared to use serious violence in order to prove whatever point it is that they wish to make.

“The prosecution allege that all four defendants had gone together in Petrovic’s car to Harold Hill in order to mete out violence – and not as Petrovic has claimed, to collect money and drugs.

“If the prosecution are right in saying that Jodie Chesney was an entirely blameless individual who got caught up in some quarrel between drug dealers, then her murder was the terrible but predictable consequence of an all-too casual approach to the carrying – and using – of knives.”

The defendants, all allegedly involved in drug dealing, deny murder.

The trial continues.

Jodie’s dad, Peter, arrives at the Old Bailey today
Jodie’s sister Lucy, arrives for the start of the murder trial
Jodie’s mum Joanne, outside the Old Bailey today – the court was told the schoolgirl was an ‘entirely blameless’ victim
Jodie was remembered by friends as an angel
Jodie Chesney was just 17-years-old when she was knifed to death on Friday night
Jodie Chesney was just 17 years old when she was knifed to death


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas