THE shocking moment an entire chest of drawers topples over and crushes a toddler in a kids’ play area in front of his horrified mum has been recorded on camera.
The 21-month-old tot, named ‘Yi Yi’, suffered a fractured femur and bent fibula in his right leg from the horror accident on on Thursday last week.
Security video from the playroom shows the child being accompanied by his grandmother as he runs around her and stops in front of the chest of drawers.
He opens one drawer and then pulls another towards him, and the entire dresser tops forwards and collapses onto him.
The clip shows the furniture landing on both his legs, and his grandmother races over to help him.
Yi Yi’s mum is now suing the children’s play area at the Fragrant Seasons Residential District in Hangzhou, capital of Zhejiang Province.
She said that recent incidents involving similar looking Ikea furniture should have made staff aware that it was a threat.
Millions of dressers have been recalled by the Swedish furniture giant in the United States since 2002 following over 100 similar ‘tip-over incidents’.
IKEA reissued its recall policy after an eighth child was killed in May of 2017, and confirmed that the MALM dresser was unstable if not mounted to a wall.
The company offered customers the choice between a free wall-anchoring kit or a full or partial refund.
‘Ikea killer dresser’
Yi Yi’s mum, Ms Yu said: “It’s the same type of furniture as the IKEA killer dresser.
“[The drawers] weigh at least 20 kilogrammes (44 lb), but my son weighs half of that.
“It should never appear in a children’s playroom, and if you’re putting it there, then at least bolt it to something.”
Despite the mum’s comparison with the well publicised IKEA furniture scandal, it was not revealed what model the chest of drawers was that injured the boy.
It should never appear in a children’s playroom, and if you’re putting it there, then at least bolt it to something.
Doctors have told Ms Xu her toddler will take about “two to three months” to recover from his broken right leg.
Ms Xu added: “Right now we want two things: first, property management must take full responsibility and compensate accordingly; second, they must make improvements.”
The case, however, may be taken to court, as a disclaimer on the wall of the playroom states management will take no responsibility for any injuries sustained during use of the space.
According to reports, Hangzhou police are involved in the ongoing investigation.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.