DOZENS of celebrities have vowed to block social media trolls and starve them of publicity.
Their pledge comes as a report out on Monday says engaging with the sickos only fuels and spreads their insults.
Research by the Centre for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) found US neo-Nazi groups urged supporters to target celebs to widen their exposure.
Last week Little Mix’s Jesy Nelson told BBC’s Odd One Out how social media abuse about her appearance drove her to a suicide bid in 2013.
TV’s Rachel Riley said being part of the research “totally changed the way I interact on Twitter”. She added: “I thought trying to engage was helpful, but this research shows otherwise.” CCDH recommends muting notifications and taking breaks from social media.
Quiz host Richard Osman said: “Mute them, block them, whatever you need to do. They are hungry for your attention. Don’t feed them.”
most read in tv and showbiz
Dragons’ Den star Deborah Meaden and Countdown’s Nick Hewer also back the campaign.
Incredibly, an abusive tweet shared by Labour’s David Lammy to 562,000 followers boosted the troll’s popularity by 14 per cent.
- GOT a news story? RING us on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]