Lucas Dobson funeral – Boy, 6, laid to rest on his seventh birthday after being swept away in river on tragic fishing trip

Lucas Dobson funeral – Boy, 6, laid to rest on his seventh birthday after being swept away in river on tragic fishing trip

- in Usa News
40
0

LUCAS Dobson – who died after falling into a river while on a family fishing trip – will be laid to rest today.

His dad announced the tragic youngster’s funeral would be on his seventh birthday, as he invited “everyone” to pay their respects.

PA:Press Association

Mourners arriving at the church ahead of Lucas Dobson’s funeral[/caption]

PA:Press Association

Family and friends at St. George’s Church, Deal, this afternoon ahead of the service[/caption]

Facebook

The six-year-old was swept to his death after falling into the River Stour[/caption]

The family of Lucas previously said the little boy would have been paralysed with fear
The family of Lucas Dobson previously said the little boy would have been paralysed with fear

PA:Press Association

A picture of the tragic youngster, a racing helmet and a toy were poignantly arranged at the service[/caption]

He fell into the River Stour in Sandwich, Kent, on August 17, and his body was found five days later. The funeral for the little boy is at St. George’s Church, Deal, this afternoon.

Mourners arrived at the church in black and red items, as they prepared to celebrate the youngster’s life.

His father, Nathan Dobson, and mum, Kirsty Furze, have urged people to raise money to help improve and raise awareness for river safety.

Posting a message to the ‘In Loving Memory of Lucas’ Facebook page, Mr Dobson said last week: “Funeral date is confirmed and is for everyone and anyone that would like to come to pay last respects to the little boy that brought so many people and so much love together.

“Friday the 13th is his birthday and the day we lay him to rest. Unlucky for no one on this day.”

He added: “There is so many flowers around and 99 per cent of them will end up in the bin, rather than spend more money on something to be thrown away and go to waste.

“We are raising money for the awareness campaign to improve river safety and also giving donations to all the unpaid emergency services that where involved in searching for our amazing little boy.”

EMOTIONAL GOODBYE

He added: “I just want to say thank you for everyone’s love, kindness and support.

“Just because we are laying him to rest it’s not goodbye from us or over in anyway.

“You will see all progress and what is put in place for the river and safety awareness for along time after.

“I will be doing another interview with the nice people ITV News after the funeral so everyone can see what’s next.

“Thank you from the bottom of mine and Kirsty’s hearts we love you all and are so grateful our little boy can make such an impact and difference to the world.”

Mum Kirsty Furze, 31, said Lucas would have been “too scared to try swimming” despite having lessons.

She added: “Lucas will never ever ever be forgotten. I’m so overwhelmed with the support I have and had and so is Lucas’ dad”.

Experts from the emergency services used specialist equipment in order to find Lucas, including sonar detectors, underwater cameras, divers, dogs and drones.


More than 200 volunteers helped in the hunt with some coming from outside the county to take part in the rescue.

Candlelit vigils were held in several coastal and inland towns and villages, while Twitter users shared images of lit candles under the hashtag #LightUpTheCoastForLucas in solidarity with his family.

An inquest has been adjourned until November 12.

PA:Press Association

Mourners wore black and red for the service on what would have been the youngster’s seventh birthday[/caption]

PA:Press Association

A framed photo, a helmet, and a toy boat sit by the altar at St George’s Church in Deal, Kent[/caption]

PA:Press Association

The tragic boy’s parents invited ‘everyone’ to come and pay tribute to him[/caption]

Lucas’ heartbroken parents, Kirsty Furze and Nathan Dobson. His funeral is taking place on what would have been his seventh birthday
ITV News
The family of Lucas tearfully joined the search
The family of Lucas tearfully joined the search that lasted for five days
2019 Stephen Lock / i-Images
The search lasted for four days
Police divers were called in, along with drones and sonar equipment
SWNS:South West News Service

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas