Boy, 11, died of sepsis after hurting his ankle dancing and doctors sent him home with paracetamol

Boy, 11, died of sepsis after hurting his ankle dancing and doctors sent him home with paracetamol

- in Usa News
61
0

AN 11-YEAR-OLD boy died of sepsis after hurting his ankle while dancing – and doctors sent him home with paracetamol.

Doctors “missed opportunities” to save little Lance Garcia’s life after not realising he had started to develop the fatal infection six days after hurting his foot.

Lance Garcia had been showing off his dance moves when he hurt his ankle - developing the fatal infection
Lance Garcia had been showing off his dance moves when he hurt his ankle – developing the fatal infection
Lance Garcia

The schoolboy had been showing off his dance moves at his home in Slough on July 27, 2016, when he first hurt his right ankle.

And while he managed to sleep without any problems, his mum Arnel and dad Malou took him to Wexham Park Hospital the next morning when the pain worsened.

He was diagnosed with a soft tissue injury and discharged with ibuprofen.

However the next day he woke up in severe pain, suffering from body aches and fever – with his parents, who are both nurses, immediately rushing him to hospital.

He was then given paracetamol, and discharged on July 3o.

But the little boy’s condition continued to worsen – and he was admitted to Wexham Hospital for a third time on July 31 where he needed to be resuscitated and intubated.

And while doctors desperately performed surgery on his leg to relieve his pressure, he was finally diagnosed with septic shock – dying on August 1.

HEALTH WARNING What are the signs and symptoms of sepsis?

SEPSIS is the primary cause of death from infection around the world, claiming around 40,000 lives in the UK each year.

The condition is always triggered by an infection.

Most often the culprit is an infection we all recognise – pneumonia, urinary infections (UTIs), skin infections, including cellulitis, and infections in the stomach, for example appendicitis.

Normally the body’s immune system sends white blood cells to kill off the bacteria causing the infection, but this goes into overdrive when a person develops sepsis.

The immune system – the body’s defence mechanism – overreacts and the result is it attacks the body.

It can lead to organ failure and septic shock, which can prove fatal.

Known by its colloquial name “blood poisoning”, sepsis is also often referred to as a “flesh-eating disease”.

Symptoms include:

  • weakness
  • loss of appetite
  • fever and chills
  • thirst
  • difficult or rapid breathing
  • rapid heart rate
  • low blood pressure
  • low urine output

Since Lance’s death, Frimley Health NHS Foundation Trust has admitted liability and apologised to Arnel and her husband Malou.

Martin Sykes, deputy chief executive, wrote in a letter: “I wish to extend my sincere condolences to you and your family…I am sincerely sorry that the care we provided led to such a catastrophic outcome.”

The Trust admitted that Lance “showed early signs of sepsis on his second visit to hospital. “With prompt administration of intravenous antibiotics and treatment he would, on the balance of probabilities, survived.”

It found that Lance’s elevated heart rate of 140bpm “should have been a red flag” to carry out further tests.

Lance was such a bright and happy boy and it is hard to think how he was doing something so joyful when he hurt his ankle, with that leading to everything that happened afterwards


Malou Lance's dad

The report said that Lance’s second admission within 48 hours should have triggered a review by a more senior member of staff in line with Trust and Royal College of Emergency Medicine guidelines.

And the report found there was a “failure” to ensure a senior doctor had reviewed his condition.

Paying tribute to his little boy, dad Malou said: “Lance was such a bright and happy boy and it is hard to think how he was doing something so joyful when he hurt his ankle, with that leading to everything that happened afterwards.

“Three years on from Lance’s death it remains incredibly hard to talk about what happened.”

He said that it felt like hospital staff “were just ignoring the urgency of the situation”.

The dad said: “We have suffered sleepless nights, flashbacks and nightmares in the years since what happened.


“The pain and grief has been unbearable and I don’t know whether our family will ever come to terms with it.”

He added: “For there to be so many missed opportunities to help Lance is unacceptable. We feel that if just one of those opportunities were acted upon then our son would still be with us.”

And the grieving dad said that while he knew he couldn’t change the past, he wanted other parents to be aware of the dangers of sepsis.

Lance, left, with his parents Arnel and Malou before he tragically died
Lance, left, with his parents Arnel and Malou before he tragically died
Lance Garcia
Parents Arnel Garcia (left) and Malou Dechavez (right), said they were heartbroken three years on from their son’s death
Lance Garcia
Dad Malou said it was unacceptable that so many mistakes had been made
Dad Malou said it was unacceptable that so many mistakes had been made that led to his son’s death
Lance Garcia


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas