HARVEY Weinstein’s brother wrote him a scathing letter blasting his “misbehaviour” two YEARS before his sex assault allegations went public, it emerged last night.
Bob Weinstein, the movie mogul’s ex-business partner, said sordid rumours surrounding Harvey’s treatment of women brought shame to their family.
Bob Weinstein, left, wrote to his brother Harvey, right, saying sordid rumours surrounding his treatment of women ‘brought shame to the family’[/caption]
Bob and Harvey together built their movie empire after setting up Miramax – whose employees are among dozens of women who made sex abuse allegations[/caption]
The 2015 letter is printed in full in a bombshell new book – and reveals Bob’s disgust at his older sibling’s tendency to “blame the victims”.
In extracts printed by the New York Times, it reads: “You have brought shame to the family and your company through your misbehaviour.
“Your reaction was once more to blame the victims, or to minimise the misbehaviour in various ways.
“If you think nothing is wrong with your misbehaviour so in this area then announce it to your wife and family.”
The book, titled She Said: Breaking The Sexual Harassment Story That Helped Ignite A Movement, is by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey.
Kantor and Twohey are the two New York Times reporters who first covered the Weinstein saga in a shattering October 2017 exposé.
Shamed Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, 67, is set to face trial in January on charges of sexual assault and rape – which he denies.
Bob, 64, who along with Harvey set up the hugely successful Miramax film empire, also makes his first in-depth comments on the scandal.
He told the Times reporters that his own struggle with substance abuse made him wave off Harvey’s behaviour as “sex addiction”.
Bob said he eventually stopped trying to intervene – adding: “I got worn out. I said, ‘I surrender,’ see?”
The book – which is set to be released on Tuesday – also details how Gwyneth Paltrow is said to have been an early source for the story.
Oscar-winner Gwyneth, 46, who claims Weinstein forced her to give him a massage, reportedly encouraged others to share their allegations.
And the book also names a previously unidentified accuser Rowena Chiu.
The ex-Miramax staffer was given a settlement and signed a nondisclosure agreement after Weinstein allegedly assaulted her in a hotel.
EMAILS FROM ACCUSER
It comes as newly unearthed emails last night reveal a Weinstein accuser reportedly sent him hundreds of affectionate messages after he allegedly raped her in 2010.
One of the emails from producer Alexandra Canosa said: “I’m thinking about you” – just a day after her alleged ordeal, The New York Post reports.
Canosa, who is suing Weinstein in Manhattan federal court, also wrote a message that read “Miss you too. Love to you and the girls” in early 2011, it’s claimed.
That email was allegedly sent to Weinstein less than two weeks after she claims he forced her to perform oral sex on him.
Gwyneth Paltrow is reportedly named in a new book as an influential source who helped break the Weinstein story in 2017[/caption]
Weinstein and Alexandra Canosa, a producer who is suing him for undisclosed damages after claiming he forced her to perform oral sex[/caption]
Newly unearthed emails reportedly reveal Canosa sent Weinstein affectionate emails just days after her alleged ordeal[/caption]
Weinstein, 67, pictured in court last month, faces life in prison if convicted of two counts of predatory sexual assault[/caption]
Canosa tried to keep the messages under wraps and blasted him for refusing to agree to her request, the Post report said.
Canosa lawyer Jeremy Hellman wrote to the judge last month: “Weinstein and his counsel are trying to manipulate and misuse these emails out of context to taint the Jury pool by creating a false impression that there was a consensual sexual relationship when there was only a consensual business relationship.”
But Judge Paul Engelmayer denied the motion last week, issuing a ruling that said the emails “are not properly designated as confidential.”
‘TRUTH COMING OUT’
Weinstein lawyer Elior Shiloh said that the emails show “the truth was finally coming out.”
Canosa is not among the alleged victims in the criminal case pending against Weinstein in Manhattan Supreme Court.
Her allegations also involve locations in Manhattan, including the Tribeca Grand Hotel, near his former office.
Canosa’s lawyer didn’t return a request for comment last night.
SEX ASSAULT TRIAL
Weinstein, 67, faces life in prison if convicted of two counts of predatory sexually assault.
The case involves the alleged rape of a longtime lover, who hasn’t been publicly identified, in 2013 and an alleged sex attack on production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006.
He has denied the allegations in that case, which is scheduled for trial on January 6.
Weinstein became the subject of a torrent of sickening sex allegations after articles in the New York Times and the New Yorker in 2017.
The scandal caused his movie empire to collapse, his wife to divorce him – and sparked the global #MeToo movement.
MOST READ IN WORLD NEWS
Dozens of actresses including Ms Paltrow, Ashley Judd and Salma Hayek have accused him of inappropriate behaviour or sexual assault.
Weinstein has consistently denied ever taking part in non-consensual sex.
The Sun On Sunday revealed yesterday that Weinstein and perv financier Jeffrey Epstein attended Princess Beatrice’s 18th birthday in 2006.
- Parts of this article originally appeared in the New York Post
Bob Weinstein, left, said his brother Harvey’s ‘misbehaviour’ had shamed their family[/caption]
Weinstein has consistently denied taking part in non-consensual sex[/caption]
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.