Dad, 31, suffered freak death on way home from boozy stag do after accidentally starting fire in garage

Dad, 31, suffered freak death on way home from boozy stag do after accidentally starting fire in garage

- in Usa News
51
0

A dad-of-two died on a stag do after accidentally starting a fire in a garage which he entered to seek shelter, an inquest has heard.

Mark Logan, 31, was “very drunk” after watching the Wales v Scotland Six Nations clash on March 9.

Dad-of-two Mark Logan died in a freak accident after getting lost on his way home
Wales News Service

Mr Logan, an oil rigger, had been drinking all day in Cardiff and was supposed to stay in the city overnight with pals.

However their booking was cancelled at the last minute and he returned to Rhos, near Pontardawe, Neath Port Talbot, in a taxi with two pals who then walked home in the early hours of the morning.

Taxi driver Mahmoud Aboulgasim described the dad-of-two as being “very drunk”.

The court heard Mr Logan’s friends, Dean and Daniel Williams, had presumed he had continued in the taxi to his home, but in fact he had forced his way into a nearby garage to seek shelter from the bad weather.

FREAK ACCIDENT

Swansea Coroner’s court heard it was “most likely” he tried to light a cigarette, which started a blaze in the garage.

Mr Logan became trapped inside the garage and was found dead the next day.

Andrew Pughsley, from Mid and West Wales Fire Service, told the inquest: “There would have been very little oxygen getting into the garage.

“It was full of smoke and with the door closed there would have been very little area for smoke to get out.

“Mark had 20 cigarettes with two missing. His lighter and telephone were at the opposite side of the garage.”

Det Con Hadeel McAlindon said South Wales Police had “no belief that Mark had entered with any criminal intent…we just believe that he sought shelter out of the elements.”

His wife, Kirsty Logan, had tried to contact her husband at 12.41am on March 10 and his phone rang but he didn’t answer. She tried to call him the following morning and, after having no success again, assumed his battery had died.

She later found out Mr Williams had arrived back in Swansea at 1am and “immediately panicked”.

She thought he may have forgotten his key and gone to stay with his mum but discovered that was not the case so called the police to report him missing.

Officers then visited Mrs Logan to tell her a body had been discovered causing her to “break down”. It was later confirmed the body was that of her husband.

‘FAMILY MAN’

Coroner Colin Phillips recorded a conclusion of accidental death.

He said: “He was a family man, he lived for his family, and they were the perfect family and this has been a tragic set of circumstances which has torn him away from you.

“He was a hard-working guy who went to the rugby.

“He had a considerable amount to drink and decided to return to Swansea. He has been dropped off in a place he is not familiar with some distance away from his home.

“He had gained entry into a garage, not with any criminal intent but to seek shelter, but sadly it would appear started a fire through smoking and became trapped in the garage and been overcome.

“The cause of death is smoke inhalation with the resulting fire causing his death.”


Speaking after the tragic fire, his wife Kirsty Logan said: “He was an amazing husband and my best friend and I loved him more than words can say.

“He was a devoted and adored father to our two sons, who idolised him.

“We will cherish our memories of him and he will be in our hearts forever.”

The inquest heard he became trapped after stumbling into a nearby garage for shelter – and accidentally started a fire when he lit a cigarette in the dark
MEDIA WALES
The inquest heard Mark got out of a taxi five miles from his home on the night he died
MEDIA WALES

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas