Tate Modern fall: What’s the latest on the boy who was thrown off and has the suspect been charged?

Tate Modern fall: What’s the latest on the boy who was thrown off and has the suspect been charged?

- in Uk News
65
0

A SIX-YEAR-OLD boy suffered horrific injuries falling off the tenth floor balcony of the Tate Modern.

The teenager charged with throwing him from the 100 ft platform appeared in court in August 2019 – and a psychiatric report was ordered.

The Tate Modern was evacuated after a boy was thrown from a viewing platform
The Tate Modern was evacuated after a boy was thrown from a viewing platform
PA:Press Association

What happened at the Tate Modern?

A six-year-old boy, who is French and was on a family holiday, fell 100ft from the 10th floor and landed on the 5th floor roof of the Blavatnik Building.

A London Ambulance service spokesman said they were called at 2.40pm on Sunday, August 4, with two ambulance crews attending as well as the air ambulance.

The helicopter landed at the central London gallery and took the boy to hospital.

By the next night he was “critical but stable” in a hospital intensive care unit following life-saving treatment.

The boy miraculously survived but was left with a broken back, legs and arms after the fall.

His family are with him and are receiving support from officers.

The museum – the UK’s most visited tourist attraction of 2018 – has reopened after closing for the rest of the day.

Emergency services tend to the boy on the 5th floor roof of the gallery
Emergency services tend to the boy on the 5th floor roof of the gallery
Stuart Haggas

Has anyone been charged?

A 17-year-old boy – who is not known to the victim – was arrested at the scene.

The teen was charged with attempted murder.

He appeared in court in august 2019 and a psychiatric report was ordered.

The judge Nicholas Hilliard made an order that neither the teenager nor the young French boy could be identified.

What have witnesses said?

Witnesses had previously claimed the child’s desperate mum tried to jump over the rail to rescue him, screaming “my son, my son”.

One unnamed bystander also claimed the suspect was punched by someone who had witnessed the boy’s terrifying fall.

Sian Morgan, prosecuting, told the court the 17-year-old boy grabbed the child when he was just a few feet from his parents – throwing him over the edge in a “very swift” movement.

A number of witnesses said the suspect had exhibited distressing behaviour beforehand.

Admin worker Nancy Barnfield, 47, of Rochdale, said: “Every time I tried to move around with my children (the man) was there.

“He was watching people. It was scary. He had his hands behind his back all the time.”

How is the victim now?

The boy is said to be making “amazing progress” – but is still unable to move or speak, his family have revealed.

They said he faced “two long and difficult operations” after being left with a broken back and fractures to his limbs.

He also suffered a “deep” bleed to the brain in the fall on August 4.

His family posted an update on his condition on GoFundMe page after well-wishers donated more than £54,000 to help him.

They said: “Hello everybody. Just a little message to tell you about our son’s amazing progress. He is an incredible fighter.

“Even if he can’t speak or move his body for the moment, we now know for sure that he understands us: he smiles and we saw him laughing several times since a couple of days when we were telling him some funny things or when we were reading to him some stories.

“It gives us lots of strength and hope, as much as the strength you, all of you, give us since the beginning with your kind messages. Thank you so much for what you do for our little boy and for us.”


What’s the GoFundMe page?

Well-wishers are raising funds for the little boy.

Surrey local Vicky Diplacto, 31, said she had been devastated by the tragic incident after her own brother was left paralysed and in a wheelchair after falling from a height several years ago.

More than £15,000 has been raised so far. To donate, visit the GoFundMe page here.


We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Christmas post chaos feared as Royal Mail staff vote to strike over festive season

POSTIES have voted to bring havoc to Christmas