A FIFTH person has died from a mysterious lung condition believed to be linked to e-cigarettes – with health officials now warning people to stop vaping.
A 55-year-old man from California, who had chronic underlying health conditions, was one of 12 people in LA experiencing severe and sudden lung disease after vaping.
His death is the latest to hit the States after four e-cigarette users from Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Oregon passed away.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is also probing 450 cases of lung conditions across 33 states that may have been causing by vaping.
Symptoms of the mysterious condition include chest pain, shortness of breath and vomiting – with some people ending up in intensive care on a ventilator for several weeks.
As a result, officials are now urging vapers to put the e-cigs down, Los Angeles Times reports.
Barbara Ferrer, Los Angeles county public health director, said: “Stop vaping now.
“Today we’re issuing a warning to all residents about the use of these devices as potentially harmful to proper lung function.”
Health investigators are now trying to establish whether a particular toxin or substance is being sneaked into products or whether it stems from heavy usage or vaping marijuana.
Many patients have either denied or say they have no knowledge about the substances they might have used – making treatment complicated.
People are now being urged not to buy bootleg products and to stop modifying devices to vape a mixture of substances.
Health officials, including Public Health England, recommend vaping to smokers trying to quit.
How safe are e-cigarettes in the UK?
In the UK, e-cigarettes are tightly regulated for safety and quality.
They’re not completely risk free, but they carry a small fraction of the risk of cigarettes.
E-cigarettes do not produce tar or carbon monoxide, two of the most harmful elements in tobacco smoke.
The liquid and vapour contain some potentially harmful chemicals also found in cigarette smoke, but at much lower levels.
While nicotine is the addictive substance in cigarettes, it’s relatively harmless.
Almost all of the harm from smoking comes from the thousands of other chemicals in tobacco smoke, many of which are toxic.
Nicotine replacement therapy has been widely used for many years to help people stop smoking and is a safe treatment.
There’s no evidence so far that vaping causes harm to other people around you.
This is in contrast to secondhand smoke from smoking, which is known to be very harmful to health.
But countless experts have urged caution, warning not enough is known about the long-term effects of vaping.
It comes after an 18-year-old released a photo of herself in a coma after her vaping habit nearly killed her.
Simah Herman, 18, was left fighting for her life just two weeks ago after her lungs failed and she could no longer breathe on her own.
And now she is warning others about the dangers of e-cigarettes – in a desperate bid to prevent anyone from suffering the same fate as she did.
MOST READ IN HEALTH
Prostitute who earns £2,000 a week reveals the average penis size … and how much she enjoys work
A SILENT KILLER
Tara Palmer-Tomkinson died of a 'perforated ulcer and peritonitis' – but do you know the symptoms?
OUR BUTTERFLY BOY
Little boy, 4, lives in constant agony with rare condition that causes his skin to blister and TEAR at the slightest touch
CAN YOU SPOT ALL THE SIGNS?
1 in 6 breast cancer patients DON'T have a lump but what are the 6 OTHER signs ?
DR KEITH HOPCROFT
If you have a whole body MRI scan on your Christmas list, it’s time to think again
The teen shared photos holding signs saying she wants to start a “no vaping campaign”.
She said: “The dangers of vaping are real and this can happen to you. Please don’t let it.
“Don’t let vaping win. Take back your life and quit smoking. It’s just not worth it.”
Simah was left fighting for her life just two weeks ago after her lungs failed[/caption]
Simah is warning others about the dangers of e-cigarettes[/caption]