ADULTS across the country will be breathing a slight sigh of relief as the kids head back to school after the summer holiday – but when does the term start, and when are the next set of school holidays?
Here are the key dates you need to know for the 2019/20 academic year….
What are the dates for the autumn term?
Most schools in the UK are heading back at the beginning of September after their summer break, though some return in mid-August.
The new autumn term – which sees pupils move up a year – typically runs from Monday, September 2, 2019, until Friday, December 20, 2019.
These dates will vary depending on the school and you are advised to check your school’s website.
The period includes half term, which is from Monday, October 21, to Friday, October 25, 2019.
What is the UK 2019/20 school calendar?
Dates vary depending on your school, so be sure to check your school’s website for exact dates.
- Autumn term 2019: Monday, September 2, 2019 – Friday, October 18, 2019
- October Half Term 2019: Monday, October 21, 2019 – Friday, October 26, 2019
- Autumn term 2019: Monday, October 28, 2019 – Friday, December 20, 2019
- Christmas Holidays 2019: Monday, December 23, 2019 – Thursday, January 2, 2020
- Spring term: Friday, January 3, 2020 – Friday, February 14
- February half term 2020: Monday, February 17, 2020 – Friday, February 21, 2020
- Spring term: Monday, February 24, 2020 – Friday, April 3, 2020
- Easter holidays: Monday, April 6, 2020 – Friday, April 17, 2020
- Summer term: Monday, April 20, 2020 – Friday, May 22, 2020
- May half term: Monday, May 25, 2020 – Friday, May 29, 2020
- Summer term: Monday, June 1, 2020 – Friday, July 17, 2020
- Summer holidays 2020: Monday, July 20 – Tuesday, September 1, 2020
When is October half term and the Christmas holidays?
Schools break up for the autumn half term on Friday, October 18, giving the kids a whole week off before returning on Monday, October 28.
Schools break up for Christmas around Friday, December 20, 2019.
It is always best to check the Government or school website in your area to make sure you have the correct date.
Term times and holidays vary slightly across the country with non-pupil days – known as Professional Development days – being slotted in.
more on school holidays
How can I check the term dates for my local school?
Most schools publish their term dates on their websites, and councils will usually also provide the details online.
This handy website lists all bank holidays and school holidays in every local authority area for the academic years 2019/20.
The bank holiday will now be on Friday, May 8, rather than Monday, May 4, 2020.