CRIMINAL is a unique drama coming to Netflix in 2019, consisting of 12 stories set across four different countries – while also filmed in four languages.
The show includes an A-list number of British actors, so who’s starring in the cast, when is the thrilling series premiering and has a trailer been released yet?
When is Criminal released on Netflix?
Criminal has been given a release date for September 20, 2019.
The series will include 12 episodes in total, with David Tennant leading the guest cast while Hayley Atwell will also be starring on the show.
What’s interesting about this show is that every episode is written and directed by those from their respective countries while Killing Eve’s George Kay and Jim Field Smith act as showrunners.
Who’s in the cast?
Doctor Who’s David Tennant is one of the lead guest stars in the series
Avengers star Hayley Atwell, Doctor Foster’s Clare-Hope Ashitey and Home’s Youssef Kerkour will also be on the show.
The main cast consists of Lee Ingleby (The A Word), Katherine Kelly (Cheat), Rochenda Sandall (Line of Duty), Mark Stanley (Dark River), Shubnam Sarab (Bodyguard) and Nicholas Pinnock (Marcella).
Since character details have remained unknown, we can only go by what’s been shown in the trailer, and it seems as if Atwell will be a suspect and Sandall takes on the role as a policewoman.
- Regular cast: Stéphane Jobert, Margot Bancilhon, Anne Azoulay, Mhamed Arezki, Laurent Lucas.
- Guest stars: Jérémie Renier, Sara Giraudeau, Nathalie Baye.
- Regular cast: Sylvester Groth, Eva Meckbach, Florence Kasumba, Christian Kuchenbuch and Jonathan Berlin.
- Guest stars: Peter Kurth, Deniz Arora, Christian Berkel and Nina Hoss.
- Regular cast: Jorge Bosch, Nuria Mencía, José Ángel Egido, Daniel Chamorro, Javi Coll, María Morales and Milo Taboada.
- Guest stars: Carmen Machi, Eduard Fernández, Álvaro Cervantes, Inma Cuesta and Emma Suárez.
more on netflix
What is Criminal about?
Criminal handles itself around 12 unique stories, based in France, the UK, Germany and Spain, with each episode filmed in that specific language.
The interesting part about this show is that the series is entirely filmed within the confines of a police interview room.
Netflix has since described it as a “stripped down, cat-and-mouse drama” which “focuses on the intense mental conflict between detectives and suspects.”
While the show is set in multiple countries, the series as a whole was actually shot at Netflix’s production hub at Ciudad de la Tele in Madrid.