A BOY, 12, had a metal spring embedded two inches into his back in a horrifying trampoline accident.
Jamie Quinlan was left with the shocking injury after the spring shot off “like a bullet” and lodged into his flesh on Saturday.
The horrifying sight of Jamie Quinlan with the trampoline spring embedded in his back[/caption]
Young Jamie was left with a shocking injury after the spring was embedded in his back[/caption]
His parents say the mechanism catapulted into the youngster’s back at around 70 miles an hour, and they fear they “could have lost” him.
The spring was lodged in his back so deeply the teen needed emergency surgery and an overnight hospital stay.
He told how he was bouncing on the trampoline at his pals’ house when he felt a bizarre sensation in his back.
Jamie, from Louth, Lincolnshire, collapsed in intense shock and pain, before his dad was called.
Ian Quinlan rushed his son to hospital, while the schoolboy tried not to faint with the huge spring in his back.
Jamie said: “When I was in the waiting room there, I was really nervous.
“It took them about 10 minutes to actually get the spring out of my back.
“The doctors said they had never heard of something like this happening with a trampoline.
‘WE COULD HAVE LOST HIM’
“Sometimes it still feels like the spring is in my back, but I am getting a lot better and stronger now. I feel relieved that it wasn’t worse.”
His dad added: “It was a terrible thing to happen, and it really scared me. It could have happened to anyone. Jamie has been so brave.
“I want people to be aware of how dangerous trampolines can be if there’s no cover on the springs, or if there’s a gap.
“The spring had come off the trampoline like a bullet. If it had hit elsewhere on Jamie’s body, in his head or throat, we could have lost him.
MOST READ IN NEWS
“Children are the most important things in our lives, so people need to be aware of the dangers in their own back garden.”
Amal Adan said she plunged through the soft pit and landed feet first on the hard ground below – shattering both her ankles at Jump Evolution in Essex.
The enormous spring which shot off the trampoline and into his back[/caption]
Jamie and his dad, Ian, who wants to warn other parents about what happened[/caption]
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368. You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.