AFTER a long break, kids are preparing to go back to school for the start of another academic year – but the term start dates vary across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here’s when term starts again.
How can I check term dates for my child’s school?
Most schools publish their term dates on their websites.
Councils will usually also provide details online.
You can check on the government website by inserting the postcode for your area.
This handy website also lists all bank holidays and the school holidays in every local authority area for the academic year 2018/2019 and the following year.
What are the term dates and are they the same across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?
Schools in Scotland go back earlier in August than those in the rest of the UK.
It is best to check your Scotland term dates here.
Pupils returned after the summer break around August 15 and will have their autumn half term from Monday, October 14, to Friday, October 18.
You can check term dates in Northern Ireland here.
They have shorter half terms and break up for summer at the beginning of July.
England and Wales have similar term times, but they do vary from council to council.
The dates below are just a rough guide, but check your local council website for the exact term times.
- Autumn term: Monday, September 2 – Friday, October 18, 2019
- Autumn half term: Monday, October 21 – Friday, October 25, 2019
- Autumn term: Monday, October 28 – Friday, December 20, 2019
- Christmas Holidays 2019: Monday, December 23, 2019 – Thursday, January 2, 2020
- Spring term: Monday, January 6 – Friday, February 14, 2020
- Spring half term: Monday, February 17 – Friday, February 21, 2020
- Spring term: Monday, February 24 – Friday, April 3, 2020
- Easter holidays: Monday, April 6, 2020 – Friday, April 17, 2020
- Summer term: Monday, April 20 – Friday, May 22, 2020
- May half term: Monday, May 25 – Friday, May 29, 2020
- Summer term: Monday, June 1 – Friday, July 17, 2020
MORE ON SCHOOL DATES
When are kids back at school this September?
Kids in most schools in England return to school around September 2.
Schools in Wales and Northern Ireland go back around the same time.
In Scotland, pupils have already begun heading back to school, with most terms beginning in mid-August.
All these dates do vary depending on schools and areas, so please check your school’s website for exact dates.